Friday, December 14, 2007

Gift Giving

Nick and I were eating dinner last night and I asked what he wanted for Christmas. I didn't know if there was something specific he wanted. He has the foosball table which was to be his Birthday/Christmas gift but I wanted him to have something to open Christmas Day from me. He said he didn't know. We decided a couple weeks ago that we would fill eachother's stocking and only spend $20. Which means we would need to be very creative. He said let's just fill the stockings for our presents to eachother. Nick and I have never been big into gifts. We were when we were first dating because that is what you do your first year. But since then gifts has not been big for us. Sometimes we get creative, but we really don't expect anything from eachother for birthdays, anniversaries and holidays. My friends have made comments on how weird that was. Nick and I laughed about how we enjoy the time we are together and not the gift. We do buy eachother things during the year that we want, but never have we surprised eachother with an expensive gift in the 8 years that we have been together. My friend Amy asked me last week what I was getting for Nick and when I told her I didn't know she looked at me funny. Gifts are not important to us. Maybe it takes too much thinking and money. Nick said we have the gifts from family to open and that is enough. Are we weird or what?

2 comments:

Kenny said...

No you are not weird. I think you have the correct attitude for a great relationship. My suggestion to you is just keep on doing what you are doing, it works for you.

Candace said...

That's not weird at all. Andy and I are forgoing gifts all together this year to save up for Ireland. I commend your non-capitalist attitude!